High school seniors aspiring to be educators develop the skills to be 21st century ready in the two-credit, college preparatory Teacher Academy program. The course consists of 7.5 hours/week divided between classroom instruction and field experience. The field experience is with certified teachers at all grade levels, which results in approximately 147 hours of instruction and 112 hours of internship experience. This is a one-year program.
Make the Grade by Mastering:
- Special education and response to instruction and intervention
- Integration of technology in the classroom
- Cultural/linguistic awareness
- The Standards-Aligned System Approach to Instruction
- Primary, Middle and Secondary experiences
- Certified high school, middle school, or elementary school teacher
- Math or reading specialist
- School counselor
- School psychologist
- Special education teacher or supervisor
- School principal or assistant principal
What you will learn (tentative plan):
The course consists of 7.5 hours/week divided between classroom instruction and internship experience with certified teachers at all grade levels, which results in approximately 180 hours of instruction and 90 hours of internship experience. Instruction is both teacher and student led; active individual and group participation are expected of each student. In addition, guest speakers from the educational field will present throughout the year; students will also participate in relevant field trips. Students are required to provide their own transportation and purchase a required college level textbook for this course. Students complete a comprehensive portfolio and participate in an interview conducted by current and former administrators..
(Prospective) College Credit:
In addition to earning 2 high school credits for the program, students (hopefully) have the option to enroll in a dual enrollment program and earn up to_____ transferable college credits.
Students complete 4-6, multi-week internships with certified mentor teachers in area public and private schools. Mentors teach all grades in all subject areas, including special education. The typical student internship consists of 30 hours in PreK-4 classrooms, 30 hours in grades 4-8 classrooms and 30 hours in grades 9-12.
- Must have applied or intend to apply to a two or four-year college with the goal of earning a degree in education.
- All required clearances must be attainable.
- Must be in good academic standing to graduate.
- Must complete the Teacher Academy (CMTHS) application.
- Must have a counselor recommendation specifically to enter this program.
- Must have transportation available to attend rotations
- Must complete a preliminary interview screening with CMTHS staff.